Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Praise Be To SXM and Dreams

I started posting this elsewhere, then realized it fits in better with the crazy shit on repeated expletives. Here's what I put on transitive gaming:

Praise Be To Zweihander

A tangent I wandered off on while looking for a good link to Marx Brothers for a post elsewhere.

The Marx Brothers, by the way, is also the name of a German fencing school also known as The brotherhood of Our dear lady and pure Virgin Mary and the Holy and warlike heavenly prince Saint Mark. They taught Zweihänder, rapier, lonsword, spear, quarterstaff, and dussak. I note that they seem to have inspired the Drexel Swordsman School in the RPG 7th Sea.

And here's some tangentially-related thoughts that would be way off-topic there, but fit in great here...

I'm the sort of guy who puts a lot of credence in his dreams. Some are just "the cataloging of the days events" whereas others fit the benchmarks to qualify as a genuine "Vision" in the words of Major Briggs. I've had several dreams, documented over the years, that proved to be prophetic, and not all in a self-fulfilling way. The majority, however, are my subconscious trying to send an important message to my conscious mind. So when a thought process begun by a dream sends me to a place, I make note of it, and try to honor what the place and the journey are telling me. In this case, the six-degrees connection to a German fencing school, combined with the uncertain metaphorical name-dropping of Italy, has lead me to a waking revelation.

I have a new camera, and really want to start making CameraMan episodes and other cool little art films. I have three computers, and I know which one I want to use for editing. However, that computer has far too little space on it's hard-drive to start using it for video projects.

One of the things filling it's hard-drive is huge quark files from my old 7th Sea campaigns. Files I could convert, host to transitivegaming and/or burn to CD and thereby free up probably a gig of space or more. (7th Sea is an RPG about Restoration-Era Europe, Italian Witches, and Swashbuckling Swordsmen, hence the tenuous connection that lead to this revelation.)

In other words, there's really nothing holding me back from spending all this ridiculous free time creating films to unleash upon the world (or at least unleash here), and all the barriers I've imagined are purely psychosomatic and/or imaginary. It's time to get creative. It's time to clean out some of the trash and cobwebs. It's just time.

Thank you Saint Xander Marx for showing me the error of my ways.

No comments: