Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Personal Sensory Experiences

I get back from vacation and start to contemplate a conflicting situation.

If I continue to ignore the news like I did for most of my vacation, I will certainly feel happier. The practice of creating catchy, sensationalist headlines has lead to a media toxic shock.

Ignoring the news disconnects me from world events. Really bad things are happening. I should know about them. I should know about how our government is using Google Earth to enforce property laws, wide scale voter fraud in South Carolina, Obama speaking out in favor of freedom of religion and mosques, 9/11 rescue and clean-up workers getting media attention for telling Obama to speak out in favor of the proposed health bill that affects them, media outlets remaining quiet about how the President has in fact been vocal in his support including chastising Republicans for stalling the bill. If I want to have a well informed opinion I need to be well informed. Any idiot can have opinions about things they know nothing about, and all too often they voice them quite loudly.

What to do? Enjoy a world of sensory experiences where things remain largely positive or dive into the global experience via news sources?

What I really should do is combine the two. Enjoy globally through personal sensory experiences.

No comments: