Monday, October 22, 2007

Tried to post this as a comment on Dave's Blog

I so badly want to like Heroes. Everybody tells me it's great. And I'm a huge comic-book fan from way back.

Admittedly, I always thought Elfquest was superior to anything Marvel did, but that didn't stop me from subscribing to The Amazing Spiderman and The Mighty Thor for years. Maybe if they'd called it "The (insert jazzy adjective here) Heroes" it would have worked for me.

All I've seen has just fallen totally flat and failed to resonate. No impact on me. It was only one complete episode plus some random partial scenes, but nothing in that made me want to view more. I was actually mildly offended, or at least agitated, by the character that everybody loves the most. My fellow geeks and gamers try to tell me that Hiro Nakamura is one of us, but in the episode I saw he felt more like an outsiders parody of what that outsider thought we are. I'm all for laughing at myself, but I need to do that with friends, not with someone who's condescending to me just because I'm his target demographic.

It's like Dogma - thought for sure I'd love it but when it played my theatre, I said "That's crap. I made all those same jokes in high school. I did it better, and I'm past that, too. Jay and the shit elemental just dumped on his own vision." It was disappointing.

So maybe that's it. Perhaps all those games of Marvel SuperHeroes RPG in junior high just aborted Heroes for me. Does that make me elitist? Hypocritical? A jerk? Short-sighted? Or just better than the rest of you bastards? :)

Maybe one day I'll regret, recant, or rescind this post. That would be nice. In the meantime, I'd rather spend my netflix slots on back episodes of Alias, Rome or the new Dr Who and my limited live-time watching Lost.



Spoilers and In-Jokes

3 comments:

Jeremy Rice said...

Liam said it best: it's slow. Astoundingly slow.

I never (successfully) played a game of Heroes, so perhaps I don't share your bias... thus, I've enjoyed the show, for its brief spurts of Cool between O.C. moments.

I haven't gotten into the second season, but I keep trying.

Alias should have ended after the third season (though by no means does that mean I think the last season's techno-weenie chick wasn't completely worth the wait).

Roman history has never interested me, so I skipped that one.

Dr Who is one of my new favourite shows. Nothing to complain about there.

Lately, James has been loaning us Star Gate: SG1. MAN, was that campy for the first two seasons. The third has really well exceeded my expectations, but that may well be because they were set so low. ...And in the six episodes I've watched of it, two were plainly duds. ...Really, though, we're secretly watching it with grins on our faces because we know that eventually, Claudia Black will grace our TV screen once again.

Mmmmn. Claudia. I miss her.

I have also become fully addicted to House. Yes, it's formulaic... yet every episode, I am surprised by some comment or another, and so it's always entertaining for me. That, and they had the guts to completely re-arrange the cast this season. Kudos to the executives with that courage.

What I find most interesting is the shift from Movies to Television in terms of what I'd like to watch. I hate that television series drag on for the sake of maintaining ratings: they ruin some good stories by making them continue ad nauseum. Xena should have stayed down after a few seasons. X-Files totally needed to die after about three years. Alias, as I mentioned.

I was *so* thrilled when 24 started, because it promised to be a nicely-packaged, well-told story, uninfluenced by the petty whims of fandom and executive misinterpretations thereof. ...But they went and ruined it for me when the announced the second season. I couldn't bear to watch it!

And yet, I find myself drawn to more TV of late than movies. Why is that? Doctor Who certainly holds my interest by making frequent change-ups, though, fuck it all, they MUST stop resurrecting the Daleks! Dead horses and such.

As much as it pains me to say it, (not to mention the bullets I'll need to doge for saying so), I'm glad Firefly was only a single season. I would have loathed seeing something of such perfection deteriorate into meer perpetuation of well-loved characters. In fact, while I'm blaspheming, I'll add that I think Joss's brilliance is evidence in how often He kills off favourite characters. I, for one, support him in doing so! (Errr... morbid as that may sound...)

Okay, now I've gone and said too much.

I'll end by saying that my hopes currently lie with "Pushing Daisies". I like the narrative style and the dialog. I hope it's around for a good season or three, and then ends properly.

So there.

Anonymous said...

Freebird!

David said...

Oh, I LOVE Pushing Daisies so far. :)