Monday, October 22, 2007

Touching Brush To Canvas

Today I did something I think I've only done once in the past 12 years (and that was in direct response to a challenge). Damn it's good to be back on the horse again.

Now, I offer photographic evidence just in case anyone misinterprets that previous sentence to mean I'm on Heroin. At the moment, I'm waiting for paint to dry. It's a really complicated composition. Came to me in a dream last night, as a result of a wicked awesome nightmare. Currently pencil and acrylic on gesso'd canvas, but should end up far more mixed media before it's over - the linseed is calling. So is the superglue. I wonder what will happen if ever the two should meet.

Can't say anything more, because I know me: Talking process is just fine, but once I say what's it's about, it'll be communicated and I'll just want it to be done. So, if you must comment, please refrain from questions or guesses of what it means. Thank you.



Dry dammit! I need to layout more blocks of color and tone. All that white-space is infuriating!


For the record, the soundtrack at the historic moment when I climbed back into that saddle was They Might Be Giants by James K Polk. Or the other way around.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As I was viewing the photos I realized that iTunes was playing Sick Boy (Social Distortion).

Jeremy Rice said...

Interestingly, I just started reading a book called "The Oil Painting Course You Always Wanted". Really good book.

I bought it so that I could learn more about color in composition (for use in digital art), not to learn about oil painting... yet it's tempted me to try. Really interesting stuff.

The price intimidates me. Actually, no: PAINTING intimidates me! My mother was a painter, so I am aware of how life-altering painting has the potential to be: I can very much imagine myself being one of those grumpy old artists who would rather put paint to canvas than interact with those soulless meatbags of the mundane world.

Damn. I totally need to make a blank white card called "Soulless Meatbags". -500. "Can not be removed from pool except by a 'Painting' card."

Ahem.

That aside, I continue to sketch. A lot. Last night, something "clicked": I drew "Captain Carter's" face (from SG1) without really thinking about it, and it came out reasonably well-proportioned and vaguely recognizable. It was THE weirdest feeling to have something come out "okay" without even thinking about it. I'm still a little stunned.

Anonymous said...

Freebird!