Sunday, August 1, 2010

Peaceful as a Dove (that's soaked in gasoline and lit on fire)

I'm all for Freedom of Speech. I understand that one man's art is another man's blasphemy, or the other way around. I've been involved in a good deal of both. As a general policy, I'm largely in favor of legalizing anything that doesn't hurt anyone, and decriminalizing (but probably still regulating) anything that only hurts yourself.


Just the same, I can't help but wonder if maybe the folks at the Dove World Outreach Center  have a different definition of "World Outreach" than I do, and I'll bet money that there's is an immensely ironic meaning. We also probably don't envision the same iconography and symbolism when we talk about Doves, either.

via RAW: 

Florida church’s ‘Burn a Koran Day’ brings Islamist threats

...
"On September 11th, 2010, from 6pm - 9pm, we will burn the Koran on the property of Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, FL in remembrance of the fallen victims of 9/11 and to stand against the evil of Islam," 
Sad, so very, very sad.

Unless they're affiliated with Dove Chocolates, they should probably change the name of their organization.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Or perhaps they are affiliated with Dove soap, a squeaky clean white-washed version of the world.