Sunday, August 1, 2010

Peaceful as a Dove (that's soaked in gasoline and lit on fire)

I'm all for Freedom of Speech. I understand that one man's art is another man's blasphemy, or the other way around. I've been involved in a good deal of both. As a general policy, I'm largely in favor of legalizing anything that doesn't hurt anyone, and decriminalizing (but probably still regulating) anything that only hurts yourself.


Just the same, I can't help but wonder if maybe the folks at the Dove World Outreach Center  have a different definition of "World Outreach" than I do, and I'll bet money that there's is an immensely ironic meaning. We also probably don't envision the same iconography and symbolism when we talk about Doves, either.

via RAW

Florida church’s ‘Burn a Koran Day’ brings Islamist threats

...
"On September 11th, 2010, from 6pm - 9pm, we will burn the Koran on the property of Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, FL in remembrance of the fallen victims of 9/11 and to stand against the evil of Islam," 
Sad, so very, very sad.

Unless they're affiliated with Dove Chocolates, they should probably change the name of their organization.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Or perhaps they are affiliated with Dove soap, a squeaky clean white-washed version of the world.