Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Nice Place To Visit...

We spent this past weekend in New Mexico.

It was great seeing friends, and it was very heartwarming to have so many people take time out of their schedules to see us.

That said, mostly the trip just confirmed for me that my body was not meant to live in the high desert. I got too much sun (which is bad for someone who's had skin-cancer surgery), and I dried out horribly. My eyes itched within an hour of getting there, my sinuses clogged up until we got home, and my hands got so dry my cuticles spontaneously bled. I couldn't sleep the whole time we were there. Within 4 hours of our return to Seattle though, I felt almost completely better. Clearly, I'm meant to live my life somewhere damp.

For a while I've claimed the point score was Albuquerque: 4, Seattle: 387. After this trip, I realize I need to adjust that number. More accurate would be Alb: 15, Seattle: 388. When I lived in Albuquerque, I was miserable, and held it together only by virtue of a few good friends that could keep me from imploding. Now that I'm a Seattleite, I'm actually enjoying every aspect of my life.

Now if I can only convince those few good friends to move out of New Mexico, so I don't have to mummify myself when I visit them.

1 comment:

Jeremy Rice said...

RE: getting friends to move out of NM...

...Not going to happen with me (I love it here and my body prefers it here to the coast), but I'm flattered that you try. : )