Friday, October 30, 2009

Burning Effigies

I'm not a big fan of Nancy Pelosi. I still have a big soft spot in my heart for the Democrats in general, but Pelosi just seems to be in bed with way to many corporate interests. So, when I read an article about people burning effigies of her, I shed no tears.

But then I read that it's ultra-conservative Christians burning the effigies, and shouting at her that she'll burn in hell. That just makes me think:
  1. It's not very Christian of you. It's certainly not in step with "love your neighbor" or that bit about the log in your own eye (Matthew 7:3).
    I guess they excuse themselves by saying "I'd turn the other cheek, but it might get singed as it passes by the big damn hate-fueled fire I just lit."

  2. Burning someone in effigy... sounds kinda like witchcraft or voodoo to me. Are you really sure that's just political protest, and not the devil tempting you to darkness? I mean, if you really believe anyone's going to burn in hell, maybe you shouldn't be engaging in black magic..?
    Today you're burning Nancy, tomorrow you're burning wicker men with pumpkin-tipped penises. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...sounds kinda like witchcraft or voodoo to me.

hehe