Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I Think I Needed That

First, my apologies to Krys. I called her on my last break and convinced her to wait up for me.

Then on the way home from work I pass a dead vehicle. They had the flares out and everything. About a hundred yards ahead of it was a guy with his thumb out. So I pulled over. He needed a ride across town because he had borrowed his girlfriend's car to go see his dad and had promised her he would be back by midnight, which was fast approaching. He had been sitting on the side of the road for an hour and a half he said. No one stopped. Not even a cop. His phone was dead and he had left the charger in his own car which had a flat. Judging by how far down the flares were, his story seemed plausible. So I told him I'd give him a ride but I had to stop off at home first.

Again, sorry Krys. I popped in, gave you a kiss, told you what I was doing, and was out the door again. The thought of you waiting for me at home nearly made me not stop in the first place.

The guy was all thanks the whole way. Even when I dropped him off at the bar his girlfriend was working at, he insisted that I wait so she could come out and thank me as well.

I think I needed that. Sometimes I get the feeling that I really am as big of an asshole as I pretend to be. Tonight I was reminded that deep down, I'm a decent individual. I'm not the social type. People almost never take an instant liking to me. But I am capable of doing a really good thing every so often. This time it happened to be for a guy so crazy in love that he needed to get to his girlfriend so she wouldn't worry about him when he didn't show up on time. That's pretty cool.

No comments: