Thursday, March 26, 2009

28 cent Vagina, then Jerk My Kirk

Last weekend, we're walking home from Veg Fest and we pass by Easy Street Records. They were running a sidewalk sale, with tables of CDs out. The staff standing outside says "For the next hour, it's $10 for a box" and he holds up a box that could clearly hold at least 30 CDs.

So, we took a look, but didn't have much faith on there being anything good there. Boy were we wrong. The first thing that caught my eye was "V for Vagina" by Puscifer, which I knew Jake had raved about a few months ago. They had tons of alternative rock and classic rock titles were on the tables. An hour later we were walking away with two boxes - around 70 CDs - for what worked out to about 28 cents a disk. The awesome thing about such prices is you can take risks on things you've never heard before.

As cool as Puscifer is (and they are pretty awesome, great sound, so thanks for the recommendation, Jake), it wasn't the best surprise for me to find at the sale.

I love lyrics, so the real highlight of the sale for me was picking up "It's Dead, Jim" by Warp Eleven. They're not the most sophisticated sound in the world, but the lyrics are pretty amazing - Star Trek and sex. I keep trying to figure out which song to quote here, but honestly, just go check out their website, and you'll get the idea.

Apparently they even played at Gen Con, and yet I'd never heard of them. Here's a video of Warp 11's most radio-friendly (but certainly not their best) song:

No comments: