Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Paul endorses... Eww!

Damn. A week or two ago I told told this Republican pollster that they only Repub I'd ever vote for was Ron Paul. I think I jinxed him.

You see, I'd once, several years back, said the only Republican I'd ever vote for was John McCain, and we've seen how he sold out.

Am I implying Ron Paul's now sold out? Yeah, at least kinda.

He's finally endorsed someone. At least it wasn't McBush, but in some ways it's almost worse.

I was expecting Paul to endorse Bob Barr, the Libertarian candidate. I'm a little conflicted on Libertarians, and I'll probably never vote for them, but I'm also not knowledgeable enough about them to publicly denegrade them, either. I don't see eye to eye with them, but I think their hearts are in a human place. Had Ron Paul endorsed the Libertarian ticket, my respect for him would have grown.

Instead, Ron Paul endorsed Chuck Baldwin, the candidate of the ironically named "Constitution Party". That endorsement costs Paul my respect. You see, Libertarians may have an overly optimistic faith in human ability to take responsibility for your own actions, but The Constitution Party, on the other hand, are a bunch of Ultra-Conservative Christian-Fundamentalist Hate-Mongers.

Here's two quotes from Chuck Baldwin (courtesy of the endorsement link, above):
If America wishes to remain a free and independent republic, if this nation truly desires future peace and prosperity, and if we genuinely aspire to remain a blessed and protected land, we must quickly throw off this foolish infatuation with multiculturalism, which is nothing more than an attempt to de- Christianize our country, and humbly return to the God of our fathers!
and (spoken 3 days after the 9/11 tragedy)...
For nearly a half-century, we have forsaken the moral principles of Heaven. We have legally murdered too many unborn babies. We have too readily accepted aberrant, sexual behavior. We kicked Heaven out of our schools, out of our homes, and out of our hearts. As a result, God is giving us a little taste of Hell.
Scary, scary, scary.

Back in July, I thought they were just kinda quaint and funny. I wrote this:
Well, that's all the Candidates, and I...
Oh, crap, there's more? Are you sure? Ron Paul's not technically running, anymore. Who's this 7th Candidate you're talking about? Chuck Baldwin? Chuck Baldwin?

I've never even heard of this guy...

Chuck Baldwin: Baldwin's the candidate of the Constitution Party. I love the name of the party, but not what it actually stands for. A quick look at the parties "Candidate Comparison" page tells me this is THE Presidential Candidate I'm least likely to vote for. He lists only 3 issues:
  • The 2nd Amendment (he's pro-gun),
  • Abortion (he's Pro-Life),
  • and Veteran's benefits (he's pro-money? pro-medicine? pro-care? pro-veteran, anyway).
Considering all the various flaws of Obama and McCain (from civil liberties to corporate/lobbyist influence) if The Constitution Party can't find more pressing issues to criticize those two about than abortion and veteran's medical benefits, they've chosen the wrong name for their political party.
What else can I learn about Chuck Baldwin? He's a Baptist Reverend. He's not one of the Baldwin brothers. He supports reopening the investigation into 9/11. He's a former Republican who broke from his party because he thought Bush and Cheney were too LIBERAL?!? Damn.
Back then, they were just funny, 'cause I hadn't read the racist and religious comments from their candidate. The more I read about the Constitution Party, the more they (and Chuck Baldwin) scare me.

Disparaging multiculturalism in favor of a church-sponsored religion is a sadly ignorant platform, and at odds with what this country was founded upon. Anyone who says "we deserved 9/11" is a sick dumb fuck, or, at best, a fucking asshole making a dumb sick joke.

That Ron Paul would choose to endorse Chuck Baldwin says nothing good about Ron Paul. I really liked Ron Paul, and wanted to continue liking him, but now I'm not sure.

2 comments:

X said...

It's okay to denegrate the Libertarians. Their philosphy is laughable. People want the government to get involved in other people's business. That's why we invented governments in the first place.

Oh, an they really like Ayn Rand, and regardless of ideology, anyone who can stand her interminable monologues is by definition unfit to hold public office.

However, I can think of a few Republicans I'd vote for: Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Eisenhower, even Nixon and Reagan. The only reason being that they are all dead and ought to be relatively harmless in that state.

List with Laszlo said...

I too like(d) Ron Paul and also find his endorsement dissapointing. At this point I'm going to vote against anyone who supports the "bailout" of Wallstreet and for anyone who stands up to them. I'm tired of getting raped.