Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Evil League Of Evil Is Good, Damn Good




Having now seen all three acts of Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog, I can honestly say it exceeded my expectations. Sweet villains. Great ending. How did they pack that much character development into 40 minutes?

Quite possibly Joss's best work yet.
(But don't tell the Browncoats I said that, since I'm going to their coffeehouse again this afternoon, and I'd hate to get bushwhacked.)

I'll add that it compares very favorably with "Once More With Feeling". The problem with the Buffy Musical is that, in order to really follow it's plot and understand all the song lines, you need to have a very solid understanding of several seasons leading up to it. In the case of Dr Horrible, however, your total investment is just over half an hour, and you can dive right in without any preamble or preparation. On top of that, the musical performances are more consistent - Once More has some uneven bits, the result of actors singing skill not having been a factor in whether or not they were cast as series regulars.

No comments: