Friday, January 18, 2008

playing center for the heavenly all-stars

Today reminds me of a small, mexican chihuahua...

I mean, today reminds me of a line from Windom Earle. I don't think it's from an actual episode of Twin Peaks, I'm pretty sure it was from "My Life, My Tapes", the book that "documented" Agent Cooper's diaries and his communications to Diane.


The line goes something like this:
"Why did Bobby Fisher give up chess and turn to God?
To get to the other side..."
Trust me, it's way more ominous coming from a chess-obsessed serial killer.

4 comments:

rbbergstrom said...

"Playing center for the heavenly all-stars" is also a 'Peaks quote. I think Pete Martell (Jack Nance) said it.

"You remind me today of a small mexican chihuahua..." is a line by Federal Bureau of Investigations Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole ("I know it's a mouthful, but I can't hear myself anyway!") played by David Lynch.

rbbergstrom said...

Another joke from Earle:

"Question: A plane crashes on the US-Canadian border, where do you bury the survivors?

Answer: You don't. You have to kill them first."

That (and the other joke) were both penned (modified, obviously, not created whole cloth) by Scott Frost, brother of Mark Frost (co-creator of Twin Peaks). Scott Frost wrote Cooper's Autobiography.

rbbergstrom said...

And yes, I get that these lines are all painfully hokey. Trust me, Twin Peaks made it work.

rbbergstrom said...

P.S.: No disrespect intended to Bobby Fisher. The man was a freakin' genius, whereas Deep Blue was just a fucking tool.