Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Still Don't Get It

Taxpayers would get checks under economic stimulus plan.
'Tens of millions Americans will have a check in the mail,' House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said at a Capitol Hill news conference. 'It is there to strengthen the middle class, to create jobs and to turn this economy around.'
This is a serious 'WTF!' What the fuck? Words that flummox. Wave the flag. (There sure are a lot of them in that photo op.) And I'm sure sending out checks to everybody has nothing to do with this being an election year. Nothing at all.

But for some reason these people are all dead certain that the way to get out of a financial crisis caused by overspending on overpriced products is not to pay off those things we purchased but to spend even more money. I took an economics course at a community college. Community college classes are far too stupid for the likes of me. Only a year prior to that I had been taking calculus, a course most people in my class would have rather puked blood than sign up for. But no matter how the instructor tried to explain the modern economic model that glorified credit and praised a small, steady inflation, I just couldn't understand it. I could mimic it and pass the course. It just didn't make sense. How the hell is anyone be they an individual, company, corporation or government supposed to spend their way out of debt? And how the hell is this supposed to create jobs?
Sources on Capitol Hill and at the Treasury Department said the plan would send checks of $600 to individuals and $1,200 to couples who paid income tax and who filed jointly.
So we get one time rebate checks and businesses get tax cuts. It creates jobs because people can now go buy that HDTV made in China and shipped here by a Chinese owned shipping company and transported by Mexican truckers so that someone who used to have a real job can put on a blue apron and help you out to the car with it.

I'm not falling for it. If I get that check in the mail I'm going to do something with it that they really don't want me to do. I'm going to use it to pay down credit card debt. Which reduces jobs because then they don't need to process my bill or hire a collection agency or any of that business. Fuck their bullshit election economic stimulus package.

3 comments:

rbbergstrom said...

I would think that giving everyone $300 to $600 dollars would result in further inflation, not economic growth.

Unknown said...

It proves that your are just as ignorant on the topic of market economics as I am.

Anonymous said...

I think my check will also go to credit card dept. I should be about 50K in the hole after the cold spell here! I think I should try heating my house by burning it down?