Friday, October 19, 2007

Bunny Business

Let me tell you a story from when I was but a wee lad. But first...
If I described to you a meat that was low in fat, delicate in flavour and hugely versatile, would you be interested? If I added that it was inexpensive, usually sourced very locally, and subject to none of the serious welfare concerns that attach to so much of the flesh we eat, would I have closed the deal? Such a meat certainly does exist - in abundant supply. But very few of us eat it.
Rabbit. It's not just for Easter any more!

Now for that story. When I was but a wee lad my dad raised rabbits on our farm. One Sunday I watched in awe as he parked the wheel barrow under the same bar that supported my tire swing and proceeded to hang one of the rabbits by its hind legs over it. He slit the throat and let the blood gush into the barrow. You know all that business in movies where the blood slowly leaks out when a person gets their throat cut or head chopped off? All bullocks. Chicken, cow, rabbit or any other animal, slice that main vein open and the blood just kind of spills out. So I watched as my dad made a few cuts, grabbed the fur, and just kind of peeled the skin off of the bunny. I was quite young so the memories aren't crystal clear. I do remember him removing organs and dumping them in the barrow.

That night we ate rabbit for dinner. I proudly announced the name of the previously furry little critter as we ate him. And that was the end of us raising rabbits. My mom and sister could no longer stomach the once cute and now quite tasty animal. For those who like a little meat in their diet, I highly recommend trying rabbit.

Doesn't every red blooded American male dream of tasting a little Bunny?

2 comments:

X said...

My dad never had me help butcher the rabbits, but I did help catch and pluck the chickens.

We never felt squeamish eating them.

Anonymous said...

Freebird!